Spiced Pickled Shrimp
May 11, 2018
: 15 min
: 24 hr
This is a historic Charleston Recipe, with a few minor changes I made to modernize it. It is a great recipe for guests, or for salad toppers.
- 2 pounds shrimp
- 6 sweet onions, I use purple onions to make it a bit more spicy
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup herbed vinegar (tarragon is my favorite)
- 2 Teaspoons of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon of Sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of Cheyenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons pickling spice
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- Step 1 Peel shrimp
- Step 2 devein
- Step 3 Cook shrimp in boiling water to cover 3 to 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink
- Step 4 drain. Rinse with cold water.
- Step 5 Layer shrimp and onions in a large bowl.
- Step 6 mix together oil and remaining ingredients, careful not to crush bay leaves
- Step 7 pour over shrimp and onions.
- Step 8 Cover and chill 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Step 9 Stir in parsley just before serving