Philly-Style Soft Pretzels
February 5, 2018
: 15 min
: 15 min
: 30 min
Congratulations Eagles. Just like the Philadelphia classic, make your own soft pretzel snack savory or sweet, twisted or straight.
- ½ cups warm water, 110 to 115 degrees
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 package Active dry yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoons Salt
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- 12 cups of Water
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil or olive oil
- Egg Wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water)
- ⅓ cup Baking Soda
- medium Grain Sea Salt
- If you want sweet: Cinnamon and Sugar
- Step 1 In a large bowl add the water sugar and salt, mix and then add yeast on top. Let sit for 5 minutes or until the yeast begins to foam.
- Step 2 Add flour and butter and turn the mixer to low and mix until everything is combined (if you don’t have a mixer use a spatula). Turn the speed up to medium to knead for about 5 to 7 minutes or until you have a smooth dough
- Step 3 Next brush the bottom and sides of a large bowl with oil. Place the dough in the oiled bowl. Cover and let it rise in a warm spot for about 1 hour.
- Step 4 Preheat oven 450 degrees, take 2 baking sheets and place parchment paper on top. Spray or brush oil on the parchment paper.
- Step 5 Add the water and baking soda to a large pot on medium heat and let the water come to a rolling boil.
- Step 6 Now that the dough has risen it’s time to have fun and create pretzels. Cut dough into 12 equal pieces, roll each piece into a rope and make a U shape, then press the ends of the rope at the bottom of the U shape and pinch the ends. That’s the traditional pretzel. But feel free to make but sizes or braids. Place your pretzels onto oiled parchment paper atop of baking sheet.
- Step 7 Carefully place the pretzels into boiling water for 30 seconds, 1 to 2 at a time. Remove from boiling water with a flat spatula and put them back on the oiled parchment paper lined baking sheets. Once pretzels have all been boiled brush them with the egg wash and sprinkle each one with desired topping (Salt for savory or Cinnamon and Sugar for sweet.
- Step 8 Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until deeply golden brown.
- Step 9 Cool for 5 minutes on cooking rack.