Italian Baked Chicken
January 23, 2018
: 15 min
: 45 min
: 1 hr
This is an easy and quick meal for the family or small gathering. Simply add a salad and you are good to go.
- 4 - 5 chicken thigh fillets , skin on and bone in (about 6oz each)
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (14oz) crushed or stewed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1lb baby or fingerling potatoes cut into bite sized pieces.
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Sea Salt and pepper to taste (I use about 1/4 teaspoon)
- 1/4 cup of dry white wine (option: 2 tablespoons cider vinegar and 1/4 cup of water)
- Option: use red1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes if I want it spicy.
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350F
- Step 2 Boil the potatoes until slightly undercooked – about 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Remove potatoes from water and and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and pepper.
- Step 4 Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over high heat.
- Step 5 Add chicken and brown well on both sides – around 5 minutes each side.
- Step 6 Remove skillet from heat, and pour off the excess fat.
- Step 7 Place potatoes around the chicken and pour over the crushed tomatoes and white wine. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Step 8 Place cherry tomatoes on top and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Step 9 Remove from oven and sprinkle on cheese, then bake for a further 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and golden.
- Step 10 Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Step 11 Garnish with basil leaves, rosemary, or other herbs if you wish.