Chocolate Cherry Biscotti
August 9, 2017
: 2 dozen
I love making these yummy Italian cookies. The aroma of the dried cherries as they bake and the melted chocolate fills the kitchen and seeps out to the rest of the house.
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries, chopped
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 300°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Step 2 In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Step 3 In a bowl cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Step 4 Add eggs and vanilla and beat until well blended, about 3-4 minutes, scraping down sides as needed.
- Step 5 With the mixer on low, carefully add in the dry ingredients. Mix until a stiff dough forms.
- Step 6 Fold in the cherries, chocolate chips and almonds.
- Step 7 Divide dough in half, and using wet hands, form the dough into two 4″x8″ flattened logs on the prepared baking sheet.
- Step 8 Bake logs of dough for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove pan from oven and reduce oven temperature to 275°.
- Step 9 Cool for about 10 minutes on baking sheet. With a serrated knife, slice the logs into 1/2 inch thick slices. Lay the slices down on the baking sheet and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until biscotti are dried.
- Step 10 Place the slices on a parchment lined baking sheet
- Step 11 and bake for an additional 12 to 14 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Step 12 Remove from the oven and cool completely a second time on a wire rack.
- Step 13 Dip half of each biscotti in the melted chocolate and place on a parchment lined baking sheet and refrigerate until the chocolate sets.